Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Merry Christmas!

For the longest time, Christmas has always been my favorite time of year. Apart from the holiday traditions, it just seemed that most people were a little bit happier than they might normally be. While the trend continues to this day, I have to shake my head at the seeming attempts to slowly rid ourselves of Christmas.

I don't know how many times I've read stories like these in the papers. In short, I think the whole mentality is stupid. In our quest to appear inclusive and welcoming, vocal 'crusaders' have made it their responsibility to ensure that we don't even mention the true nature of our holidays. Oh sure, its fine for you to bring whatever traditions you want to our country. They propose we sweeten the deal and avoid the risk of hurting anyone's feelings by getting rid of our own.

While I'm all for being a tolerant nation and I am proud to belong to a country that is by and large a very welcoming one, what gives anyone the right to dictate the very words I say as a means of a holiday greeting? If you are too thin-skinned to handle a simple 'Merry Christmas' thrown your way from a sincere well-wisher, then you need to suck it up and move past your tattle-tale response. I don't throw a hissy-fit if someone wishes me a 'Happy Hanukkah' (spelling?). Instead I recognize that this is what it is: a way to share a little bit of happiness with someone else regardless of their creed or religion.

Think for a second about the outrage we would hear if Christians started making the same kind of noise about other celebrations as they are often afforded. There is no way in the world they would get away with that sort of campaign. What is it then that makes Christmas such a vulnerable target? What is it that makes it okay to target this particular holiday and not others?

So to all you whiners who despise the diminishing displays of holiday cheer, I wish you a very Merry Christmas. I hope you're happy.

2 comments:

reddy said...

Ha! I totally agree. Did you hear that the states is trying to put Santa on a diet because they think he's promoting obesity? For crying out loud, he's a jolly, fat man, leave him be!

MJ said...

Well said, old friend. I must say, you write remarkably well, especially for a Canadian. But nothing new for 2008?

mindofmj.blogspot.com