Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Yet Another Reason I've Lost Faith in the Rising Generation

As a student and teacher, I've encountered a variety of learning styles and personalities. While I still cling to the belief, or hope, that most people eventually find their way to contribute to society, we just never seem to run out of the "what-the-heck-is-wrong-with-you?" variety.

During my lunch break today, I made a quick trip over to the nearest Subway to indulge in a delicious Turkey breast sub on wheat. Mmmmmm.... The two customers after me were two teenage girls somewhere around the age of sixteen or so. I'd like to assume that by this point in one's life, they would have figured out the basics of ordering food from a menu. Instead, to my combined amusement and bewilderment, these two bastions of intellectualism order "a sandwich." The confused worker raised an eyebrow and politely asked what kind of sub they would like to which the girls responded with raised eyebrows of their own: "What kind? What are you talking about?"

Before this matter was even settled, a new round of stimulating questioning commenced. "How much does a sub cost?" The employee, looking even more confused now, informs them that the price depends entirely on, once again, the kind of sub being ordered. More confusion. By the time I had received and paid for my meal, the two little Misses has just settled on the choice of bacon, the general idea of the menu remaining somewhat elusive to them.

But Jason, you say, this is only about a sandwich and nothing more. That may be true, but it is for me indicative of a general trend plaguing society. In our efforts to be inclusive and not subject our children to the heartache of failure, we have essentially made many of them lazy and stupid. No need to think things through on your own, oh no. And certainly not when teacher is there to pass you along regardless of your effort and mom and dad keep things fairly relaxed for your oh-so challenging lives.

Only a sandwich, yes. But I see the problems behind these kinds of things far too often to not be concerned.

No comments: