Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Lazy days of summer

Posting has been sparse lately, as I've been caught in enjoying what's left of my summer break. I've also been heavily engaged in reading 'Shakedown.' I'm finding it fascinating but at the same time, it makes me angry. Really angry in fact.

I haven't had to deal with these problems anywhere near the extent that people like Ezra Levant, Mark Steyn, and others have. I have, however, started to feel the pressure a bit more in my life and more especially in my profession. The recent passing of Bill 44 can, admittedly, be viewed as a tool to empower parents in shielding their children from harmful subject matter. However, at the same time it feels like yet another restriction on speech all in the name of human rights. It makes me feel a bit uncomfortable and there are many times that I wonder what kinds of battles I might face in the future as the shroud of political correctness and 'the right to not be offended' expands.

I certainly don't mean to fear-monger but I'm finding that the more I learn about the issue, the more concerned about it that I am growing. We live in a free society and that certainly doesn't mean that we can do whatever we want. But it does not mean that we need to renege on some of our most cherished rights just because of heightened, overly-developed senstivities

2 comments:

rob said...

I just finished the book today. I agree with you that it deals with an incredibly important topic. You don't think that the book was well-argued though, do you?

Jason said...

I'm still finishing the book myself. Thus far, I would agree that the focus has been on sharing a lot of the problems with HRCs, including some rather ridiculous cases. I can't speak for the rest of the book but I'm hoping to see a bit more than just "they're wrong so let's get rid of them!"

I'm not trying to discredit Ezra Levant and his effort. I think that we all owe him a bit of gratitude for taking such a leading role in bringing a lot of these ugly truths to light. However, the realm of solutions is equally important and I'm curious as to what he says in that regard.