Wednesday, April 9, 2008

And this matters because...

I am, admittedly, quite far from proclaiming myself to be any sort of expert when it comes to climatology. I am, however, somewhat perplexed that this manages to get the kind of attention it still does.

For starters, this is a forecast. I'll start putting greater stock in these things when people actually figure out how to predict the weather accurately beyond the next couple of days.

The other thing that bothers me is how eager the MSM seem to make this a huge issue. A research team has made a revised prediction regarding the upcoming hurricane season. Among the mind-blowing changes are a staggering increase of 7 hurricanes (made Dec. 2007) to a whopping 8!

I have never lived in a hurricane zone and I can understand the need to plan for the inevitabilities of inclement weather. I just can't stand the sensationalism that often accompanies it. Has anyone really stopped to think why we're making news about weather events that haven't even happened yet? Have enough people really considered the corners we might be trapping ourselves in by getting too caught up in our own rhetoric?

I'll tell you what... when all the proverbial poop hits the fan and calamity ensues, I'll be among the first to eat my words and admit I was wrong. In the meantime though, keep your excitement to yourselves because I have plenty of more important things to worry about.

No comments: